The safety consultants and industrial hygienists from the CSH are all college graduates in a field of study related to safety or health, and have received extensive training in various areas of both safety and health at the OSHA Training Institute in Arlington Heights, Illinois. The consultants are:
- Competent professionals, carefully selected and trained;
- Familiar with the particular problems of various industries, work sites, or medical related facilities;
- Alert to hazards found in workplaces, including those not always considered hazardous;
- Increasingly experienced through continuing educational opportunities with occupational health problems resulting from noise and atmospheric pollution, toxic substances, carcinogens, and other environmental hazards;
- Able to help the employers voluntarily eliminate problems which could result in penalties assessed by federal regulatory agencies and to assist in the reduction of lost work days, employee retraining, and workers' compensation costs; and
- Thoroughly acquainted with the problems and processes of Mississippi employers in such locations as sawmills, furniture plants, metal fabricators, foundries, general manufacturing, doctor and dentist offices, nursing homes, etc.